During the 2nd to the 6th of March Ambitions will be running a Switch Off campaign in our Cornwall office and we want you to get involved at home and at work.
In a bid to do our bit for a greener future we are asking you to switch off your devices and lights. It couldn't be more simple, all we're asking you to do is make sure the lights and computers are switched off before you finish work for the day. You can even take this back home and elect to switch off your TV, instead of using stand-bye mode.
Turning computers and monitors off at night can save £35 a year per desk
- IT equipment burns energy, even in standby mode
- Encourage staff to switch equipment off when not in use
- Use the energy-saving features on things like monitors and printers
Installing the right office lights can reduce energy costs by up to 15%
- Encourage staff to switch lights off when they’re not needed
- Use movement detectors, time switches and daylight sensors
- Install energy-efficient lights – LED lights and compact fluorescent products use 80% less electricity than conventional light bulbs
Reducing the temperature by 1°C can save enough energy to print over 40 million sheets of A4 paper
- In warm weather, turn down the heating rather than opening the windows
- Close window blinds in the early evening to help reduce night-time heat loss
- Don’t use extra electric heaters – these are one of the most expensive heat sources
- Encourage individuals to turn down the thermostat radiators in their rooms
The Carbon Trust helps organisations contribute to and benefit from a more sustainable future through carbon reduction, resource efficiency strategies and commercialising low carbon technologies